Day 16| "Most people don't know this but..."
Oh my, in some ways I feel like I'm airing all of my dirty little secrets. Which aren't dirty at all, they're just things about me that I probably wouldn't bring up over coffee with a new friend. Anyway, enough of the chit-chat. Things most people don't know about me:
games:: I play candy crush. In my opinion, this is my biggest "secret." obviously my friends, roommates, and co-workers know, but it's not something I typically announce to the world.
And don't worry, I will NEVER ask you to play on Facebook. It's usually just something I do when I have a spare moment -- not enough time to read a chapter of a book yet, too much time just to sit and do nothing.
movies:: I have been to every mid-night premier of the Twilight movie series. And I've read all of the books.
music:: I played in the orchestra all three years of middle school. My instrument of choice, the viola.
language:: I took two years of German in high school and throughout life, I've very slowly learned some sign language. At some point in my lifetime, I would like to become fluent in both of these languages.
performing arts:: from 8th grade until my junior year of college, I almost always had a dance class. I took ballet, jazz, tap, hip-hop and modern. I loved every second of it and I had great legs back then! It's something I would like to for my workout more often.
I was also involved in the drama club in high school for three years. I've been in musicals, children's plays and I even got to direct one show my senior year.
school:: I was home-schooled my freshman year of high school. Just the one year. It had it's perks but I wouldn't have traded the three years I had in a "normal" high school for anything.
body:: I was born with a cleft palate. It wasn't extreme, just a small opening in the roof of my mouth. And when I was six weeks old, the doctors closed it up. Because of it, I've had a few dental problems, but nothing to serious.
I also have extremely large tonsils. They somewhat resemble small lungs. They truly are a sight to behold. But they haven't gotten in the way of life thus far so I suppose I'll keep them for now.
Can you relate? What are some things most people don't know about you?
Day 10|Ten things that you love about yourself.
Ten things I love about myself? This is so hard, I typically avoid answering questions like this; I just feel like I'm tooting my own horn. But I'm going to put on my big girl pants and take a shot at answering this one. Deep breaths... here we go.
1. my love for reading:: "the man who does not read good books, has no power of the man who can't read them." Mark Twain. I have a deep rooted passion for books and the stories they tell. It's something I hope to never loose.
2. my listening skills:: I may not be the first to pipe up in a group but I'd say that I'm a pretty good listener! Which is one reason I'm a great hostess; my 3rd favorite thing about myself!
3. my hospitality:: I love welcoming others into my home and life! I always want the new person of the group to feel comfortable and I try my best to make sure that happens.
4. my adventurous heart:: I love traditions, but I find great joy in discovering the unknown. I want to go to new places, in my city, and even the world. I would say that there's a part of me that longs to always be on the move.
5. my love for learning:: along with my adventurous heart, I never want to stop learning! I'm the girl who actually misses her classes from college, not just the hang outs with friends -- although those were great too. But, I'll be honest and say that I only want to learn about things that fascinate me. I don't need to know how the whole world works, just those parts of it that catch my attention.
6. my written communication skills:: duh! This blog is exhibit A. I love writing, whether it's in this space, or a sweet note to a friend. Writing is how I best express myself, ask me to express my thoughts verbally and we may be here all day.
7. my silliness:: I'm a goof-ball sometimes, or as a friend of mine likes to say, I'm a goober! I can make a joke out of, just about, every situation and most of the time I do. I love to laugh and to share that laughter with those around me.
8. my tattoo:: I have a tattoo on my left ring finger that most people don't realize is there. It says, 7:10, from Song of Solomon 7:10 which says, "I am my beloved's and his desire is for me." I got it my last week of college and it's something that constantly reminds me that I belong to God despite my circumstances -- something I need a lot of lately.
9. my height:: I know you can't tell from my picture, but I'm an even 6' tall. And I love it! This used to be something that I was always self-conscious about growing up, but I've long since gotten over it! Longs legs, don't care!
10. my sleeping habits:: I'm always ready to hit the sheets! I can fall asleep like no-one else; if it was a sport, I'd be MVP!
What are somethings you love about yourself?
Day 9|Let's talk personality types.
My Myers Briggs says I'm an INFP. And after reading the description, I would have to completely agree. Here are some traits of INFPs.
Introvert:: composed, self- relent, reserved and thoughtful
iNtuitive:: creative, imaginative, idealistic, and innovative.
Feeling:: empathetic, sensitive, ethical, and authentic.
Perceiving:: flexible, accepting, tolerant, and open- minded.
Your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them. or how they fit into your personal value system. This is me to a tee! I tend view all things according to how I feel about them. However, I think it's safe to say that my feelings aren't always rational.
Their primary goal is to find out their meaning in life. They are idealists and perfectionist, who drive themselves hard in their quest for achieving the goals they have identified for themselves. This one is almost painful to admit about myself. I so desperately want to know what I'm doing with my life, but I have no clue. Once, I make some career goals, I'd love to pursue them; but I've got to discover what they are first!
Although they may be reserved in expressing emotion, they have a very deep well of caring and are genuinely interested in understanding people. At times I can come across as completely apathetic and even heartless but I promise those things are not true. Sometimes my RBF is just not under control, but I'm working on the art of facial emotions!
They can be quite warm with people they know well. In spite of being an introvert, I really do love people and getting to know new friends. It may take me some time to feel comfortable, but just be patient with me.
INFPs do not like conflict, and go to great lengths to avoid it. If they must face it, they will always approach it from the perspective of their feelings. INFPs place little emphasis on who's right and who's wrong. They focus on the way the conflict makes them feel, and indeed don't care whether or not they're right. They don't want to feel badly. This trait makes them appear irrational and illogical in conflict situations.
I've never thought of this but as I read it, it's true. When I find myslef angry with someone, it's because of the way they made me feel; usually it's because they've hurt my feelings. I can be somewhat of a sensitive person. And I think it's because I expect people to think the way that I do -- to value the things I value -- and when they don't I'm hurt. This is something I can stand to work on.
INFPs may be awkward and uncomfortable with expressing themselves verbally, but have a wonderful ability to define and express what they're feeling on paper. YES!! This is a small reason why I started this blog! I love sharing my life with others, but I'm not always the best at doing so verbally, thus a blog was born! And I love my little piece of the internet!
Bonus: J.K. Rowling's an INFP!! #Twinsies
What is your Myers-Briggs?
twenty-something, daughter, sister, friend, follower of Christ, lover of all things media. welcome to the journey girl trying to find her place